Mom Maps is dedicated to helping you find kid-friendly places at home and on the road as well as reviews and recommendations for parents, by parents through our iPhone app and on our website. We love discovering new places!
If you love to travel with your family as much as we do – or even if you just enjoy being an arm chair traveler – here’s a list of some of our favorite people to follow on Facebook. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of practical tips, discussion threads on family travel, news, gear and cool places to visit.
* * * * *
1. Family Tavel Forum – Their tagline is “Have Kids, Still Travel” which says it all. They provide regular Facebook updates packed with links, upcoming events and deals. Recent posts:
- October Events for Families at the King Tut Exhibition
- Haunted House: The ScareHouse in Pittsburgh, PA
- Massachusetts Calling All Leaf Peekers!
2. Travels with Baby – Practical tips for traveling with little one, travel ideas and giveaways. Recent posts
- Check out this great diner we found in Vancouver – lots of character & perfect for dining with tots.
- See my tips for finding kid-friendly hotels online at Nickelodeon’s parentsconnect.com
- I am travelling overseas with my 8 month old daughter to south America. Any suggestions for a travel car sear that is safe? Is the Go hybrid for older babies
3. Trekaroo – Plays host to a large community of family travelers. Great for location-specific events and activities, contests & discussion threads. Recent posts:
- The Texas State Fair is coming to Dallas this week! Check out what other fun attractions there are for kids.
- Excellent Guest Post today about finding peace out in nature. This family found theirs in the Great Smokey Mountains in a special valley called Cataloochee
- Trekaroo’s picks for great places to see fall foliage in California.
4. Travel Savvy Mom – A great resource on domestic and international travel, where to stay and what to do when you get there. Tips and gear, too. This is real world advice from a team of moms. Recent posts:
- How to get your kids interested in ancient history? Take them to see the mummy of a boy who became a king at 9 years. Visit the King Tut exhibition in Denver.
- Take your family to Jardin des Glaciers, Quebec and explore the beauty and history of Planet Earth in this gorgeous 40-square-kilometer park.
- Shopping for a tough, lightweight travel stroller? You’ve come to the right place. Kayt ran over her Maclaren Volo *with her car* and it still worked great.
5. Travel for Kids – Lots of international travel ideas for adventurous families or those with a bad case of wanderlust. Recommendations for travel-related book picks for kids, too. Recent posts:
- Alaska! Where else can kids promise to stay up until it gets dark, and it’s still light at midnight? Explore the Inside Passage in southeast Alaska, including a visit to Juneau, look for caribou and grizzlies in Denali National Park, and more. Get the scoop on all our first hand tips – ice worm safari, sled dog rides, moose in Anchorage, and glacier treks.
- Travel tip – In Switzerland, in summer on the Great St. Bernard Pass (Col du Grand Saint Bernard), be sure to stop to meet the St. Bernard dogs (kids love this). The monastery that bred the dogs for rescue is now a foundation that runs a museum and the kennels.
- Staff book pick for September is Tortilla Sun. A young girl spends her summer with her grandmother in a rustic village in New Mexico. There, she learns to listen for the wind’s voice, find herbs in the moonlight, and make tortillas round like the sun.
Mom Maps – While we’re at it, we invite you to follow Mom Maps on Facebook. We share kid-friendly places and events, news and articles from the world of family travel and our ever-growing community of Mom Mappers, and the best of the best in family-friendly mobile apps. Recent posts:
- Featured Kid-friendly place: Waterfront Park, Louisville KY (video by @roadtripsfeedme)
- Family Day Kite Festival Sat/Sun. Marina Green, San Francisco. Free kites for kids, too! (via sfkids.org)
- Fun & Free for the iPhone! Create your own Snow Globe for FREE this appfriday by @snowglobemaker